How does an SSL/TLS Certificate Work?
Whenever a user visits a secure website (a website with a SSL/TLS Certificate), the SSL/TLS Certificate installed on it offers instant identity confirmation of the website and creates an encrypted connection as explained in the workflow below:-
- A browser or server tries to connect to a secure website (i.e. web server) by requesting it to identify itself.
- The web server sends the browser/server a copy of its SSL Certificate.
- The browser/server ascertains whether or not to trust the SSL Certificate. If it is satisfied, it sends a message to the web server.
- The web server responds by sending digitally signed acknowledgement back to start an SSL encrypted session.
- Finally, encrypted data/information exchange starts between the browser/server and the web server.